Sunday, May 15, 2011

Introduction to Dean's Naked Wings




About 3 years ago, I bought a Honda CB650 1981, from a friend. The initial goal was to refurbish the bike so I could do a little riding. So I did, since then I have aquired 2 Goldwings and am almost done refurbishing the 2nd Goldwing. I have also managed to put 4,000 miles on that 650 and sold it, put almost 10,000 on the 1981 GL1100, and am nearly done with a custom job on the '77 GL1000.
My goal is to have some fun with what I consider to be one of the most overlooked candidates for customization, since the 1960's and the VW Beetle. Like the Bug, there are a large number of good condition, low mileage 'Wings, available, for making an afordable "Naked" Wing.
I hope to show some of what I am up to, concerning GoldWings of the 1975 through 1987 era. Not that all should be chopped, stripped or otherwise changed from original configuration.
There should always be some nice, stockers out there, but the ones that have all the junk chrome and other abberrations of the era, need to be set free. Not unlike "Willy", the burden of tooo much "love" needs to be flensed from what is one of the most revolutionary of motorcycles.
As many before me have discovered, these bikes are a lot of fun to ride in an aggressive way, once certain mods have been done. And they are still one of the best tourers out there. Just saying.
Many thanks to the may folks in the GoldWing Community, for inspiration, information, and assistance in my quest for a different kind of GoldWing.
In the future I will have photos of past and present projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment