Sunday, May 15, 2011



Here we have an 81 CB650, after I tore it down and repainted. This bike had 1768 original miles on it when I got it, from the 2nd owner. It was all there, but it was froze up and the fuel system was "toast". So I stripped it down, cleaned it up, poured ATF into the top end. let it sit for a bit. Then started to work on the motor. The brake system was all fouled as well. The nice thing was that it was essentially in perfect condition other than having been in the weather, albeit under a tarp.
This picture shows how it looked when I got it. It had been run into a tree or something similar and had the down tubes bent, so off with them and a good set from Bent Bike. This was my first bike in over 30 years and was a good size project to start on. Most of the work was done in my studio during the winter,the rest on the back porch or at the auto restoration shop where I work part time.
Thanks to Al Murray for his assistance in this and my other projects. The first good drive I took on this bike was around the Olympic Pennensula in 12 hours, one sunny summer day. That's about 390 miles of butt numbing on this bike, but a lot of good riding none the less. I wound up putting a cafe fairing on it for the ride and that helped break up some of the buffeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment