Thursday, August 21, 2014

Fuel injection for the YellowJacket

It has been some time since I last made a post, so here's a new one. When I first did the build on the YellowJacket, I had installed the fuel injection setup from an '85 GL1200. It worked alright, but I did not care for the look of it. A little too commercial plumbing if you know what I mean. So I got a hold of a retired set of stock carbs, gutted them, had some plugs, fabricated, plugged up all the leaky stuff, and set up some fuel rails. I will be using a Mega Squirt ecu, running timing and fuel. Eventually, it will have a turbo installed, but I figure it would be best to get the FI nailed down before I blow it up.
Here are some pics.

 


 Above are the bodies after being milled flat and
mounted on the airbox.


At right are the injectors from a 2.0 Mazda, and the plugs made to fit inside the piston bore. The recess for the injectors is angled at approx. 45 degrees, which points down stream toward the head. I recycled the dashpot portion with bolt tabs as retainers for the plugs.







 


I made a TPI mount by drilling and tapping the throttle shaft of #2 carb. A little JB weld and a bit of thin wall and I have a place for the TPI to live.








You can see the TPI in this picture.


 
 
 


 


At first I thought I could use the fuel rail that came with the injectors, why not! The spacing was perfect and I had them in hand. If I would have brazed them, it would have been OK. As it was, they were not going to fly, so I bought some brass fittings and a piece of fuel rail and made a stronger system. These pictures show the first fuel rail setup.


I needed to have  an Idle air circuit as well as vacuum /pressure port for the eventual turbo setup. you can see the intake air temp sensor in the middle of the air box.
Did I mention turbo? Just so happens, I got a T15 online with wastegate, so I welded this thing up. I have removed the center stand and have put together plumbing to fit this thing under the bike in the space vacated by the center stand.  




2 comments:

  1. Needs electric oil return pump?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the turbo, maybe. The outlet from the turbo is above the resting oil level, so maybe not. If I have to, will make a small reservoir for the out going oil to defoam, and a small pump to recirculate into pan. Haven't got there yet. An early R&D version had the turbo on top of motor. Figured I would try it this way.

    ReplyDelete